when Cabrillo came to Buena Ventura he called it way below of the canoes. This Cano recorded that here native fishing canoes were the finest in California. In 1769 Portola visited this pueblo of oval-shaped houses in two years later Sarah came walking from San Diego to Monterey and observe this was the place for a mission. But it was 1782 before San Buena Ventura became the ninth mission in California. And three more years father Les Swain succeeded Junipero Serra, but soon Buena Ventura produce more feeding cattle than any other mission. An aqueduct furnished water and of her abundant harvest Buena Ventura made gifts to other missions. An old bell still rings in the tower in near the altar stand the large silky white poppies named for the native chief Matilija.