The site selected for the fourth mission was the wide valley south and east of the Sierra Madre. And in the fall of 1771 two padres with soldiers arrived from San Diego, and San Gabriel Arcángel was founded. The Indians lived in tule huts near the San Gabriel River gathering acorns from the belt of oak forest. When natives became hostile the padres unfurled a colorful painting of the Virgin, and the warriors lay down their bows and arrows. San Gabriel became a large colony and owned twenty ranchos reaching to San Pedro and Rancho San Bernardino. The mission grew great in agriculture and from its Vina Madre came all of California’s mission vineyards. And from San Gabriel grew the second civic town in California the pueblo of Our Lady, La Reina de Los Angeles.