after solar dead it was six years before any other mission was established. But Lau send had been very busy and now added for missions to the chain in that year 1797. The first was San Jose D Guadalupe a located on East side of San Francisco Bay, 15 miles north of the town of San Jose which had been established 20 years and flourished. Mission San Jose was built near a small stream in a grove of trees called law Alameda. In this new wild area there was much trouble with warring tribes. The Padres were often discouraged and the corporal of the guard grew weary of open warfare. He was replaced by Sgt. Peralta who subdued the troublesome natives. Peralta acquired leagues of land east of the bay and on this great rancho grew to the two cities Alameda and Oakland.