November 1 of that year 1776 Sarah founded the mission San Juan Capistrano halfway between San Diego and San Gabriel. It was a delightful place surrounded by rolling hills with trees and broad fields. An Adobe church was built the next year and when Padre Sarah came to say Massey observed the church would soon be too small so the heavy walls were extended and built higher. And thus was preserved this portion of the original church, the oldest remaining building in California and the only walls now standing that echoed the voice of Sarah. The new church begun 20 years later was magnificent, but six years after it was built the great dome and tower crashed to earth. And every spring the swallows nest in the ruin walls as a symbol of peace to Capistrano.